Friday, February 15, 2013

If you have ridden the train, you know you hurry onto the TRAX car.  You look quickly, I mean VERY quickly for a seat.  I have to scan quickly for a seat hubby and I can sit in together, across from each other with no one else on the seats.  It is a game we play every morning.
Today the front of the car is full, dang!  I scan quickly down the center aisle.  I think I spy an empty pair of seats about midway down.  Must hurry because if the car starts up before sitting down my hubby is always thrown off balance and I don't want to have to pick him up off the floor of the train car.  (Funny, I never worry about me falling ... hmm).
Anyway, as we sit down, I notice that we are right behind the mid door off the train but there is something on the floor by the door.  I wonder if someone dropped something.  So hubby turns around, leans over the seat and stares for quite a while.
"There is a guy lying there on his bag" he says.  "Is he dead?" I ask.  
"I don't know" he hesitantly answers. 
Now other people begin to bend and look over.  But no one does much else but look.  
I do see slight movement of something, maybe an elbow so I figure he is not completely dead.
"Was there a pool of blood or anything?" 
"No" hubby replies.
Then we are at the next stop and people get on from that mid door and cautiously walk around the guy on in the stairwell slumped over his suitcase.  Everyone stares and shrugs their shoulders or takes a second harder look.  
Someone a few seats from us asks, "What is it? Did someone drop something?"  
Now hubby explains and everyone on the train listens and is now talking about it.  
"Is he dead?"  is heard up and down the car.
'No, look he is moving a bit," someone adds.
By now it is many stops later and many people have come and gone by that mid door. 
I remember thinking, "Wow, how amazing that no one really cares about this guy or wants to bother him or themselves to see if he is ok, including me."
It's our stop now. 
 "Let's go out the mid door also so I can see him", I say.
As I stepped around this slight of build, moderately well dressed young man I studied him intently trying to get answers.  
All I know is he is olive skinned, short haired with an odd hat on his head and he is lying with his head on the suitcase which he is cradling as if the suitcase were a lover.
And he seems to be deeply asleep.
photo is merely to show position of young man's body on his suitcase -this is NOT him.
What's the story? 
 Why sleeping in the stairwell and not on the seats like everyone else?
  I'm afraid it is a mystery forever.

No comments:

   Feb. 2022 my grandparents: Grandpa Fryer at top, then Grandma Fryer followed by Grandpa and Grandma Bowen with their family in the bottom...