Sunday, July 19, 2009

Another Week Closer to Start of New School Year...ugh!



But, one word about the weather for the 'I heart Utah' festival....

Can you say, THE WORST EVER FOR A FESTIVAL!


I gave up on the 'Earth Jam' festival in April due to the beginning of the Freaky Utah monsoon this spring. Now I had to give up on the 'I heart Utah' festival because of the 103 degree temperature. Electric Park at Thanksgiving Point is pretty new so the trees were not much taller than me. Very little shade - which is not good for hundreds of vendors, many of them being food vendors with hot grills! I was under the pavilion so I fared much better than most all the others. The morning was gorgeous, all vendors were rather 'hyper' with anticipation of the day's events. By 9:00am it was beginning to feel warm, at 11:00am it was really warm and then it proceeded to get downright miserably hot by 1:00pm. By 3:00pm I called my husband and said I'd have to stay longer because there was no way I was going to clean up, haul stuff to my car in this heat, I'd have to wait until it started to cool off! Clouds came over within 45 minutes of my calling the hubby and it was amazing to see everyone acting like Alaska Caribou heeding the migratory instinct, (only because of the heat I guess we were more like African Wildebeest!) I felt real bad about abandoning the festival which was continuing until 7:00pm, but it literally had been about 7 hours since I had last needed to go potty. I had downed 3 liters of water and still had no urine output! That's not good.

So those festival attendees who braved the heat and who came to visit me and purchase, I say Thank You!

I couldn't wait to get back to my Home Sweet Home, the People's Market today! The weather was delightful (I would probably have said hot if I hadn't experienced the previous day). I enjoyed meeting the young lady who had been to Africa recently and had actually seen the women of Africa "in the bush" making paper beads. I said I made these paper beads in the way yonder bush of Utah called Murray! and even better, my beads were indigenous to Utah. Real authentic Utah, indigenous junk mail beads. (Her male companion laughed.)

The young lady who had recently returned from Africa then asked if I also coated my beads with clear fingernail polish? Hmmm.. no, I use the sap from the local polyacrylic tree! How do they get enough clear nail polish in Africa to coat all those beads? These women in the bush are really poor people aren't they? How do they even buy fingernail polish?

I was very impressed with a young lady, Catherine, who also makes jewelry mostly out of pennies! yes, pennies. I had to buy a pair of penny earrings. Please check out her ETSY store and support a young entrepreneur - http://www.cmmay.etsy.com/

By the way did you see the full page write up on the People's Market Chain-mail lady in last Sunday's paper? You need to come see her wares! How about a 35 lb. chain-mail vest? But actually her wallet chains are to die for! If I were thirty years younger and male and cool, I'd buy one!
Oh, and how bloody cool that a couple from Scotland bought a necklace from me! I thought my hearing was getting worse when I couldn't understand what this one cute little lady was saying to me. So I finally said, "What part of England did you get that accent from?" "Scotland! not England," she correctly me quite harshly, I must say. Well, anyway my Tiger Eye pendant will now be sported around in Scotland because they are just here on vacation and bought from me! How sweet is that?
This week will be a bit less hectic. Maybe I can visit some relatives. Maybe I can vacuum some floors and dust... hmmm, I better think those last two over a bit more.
The final week of summer coming up - It's all down hill to school starting after the 24th of July!

No comments:

   Feb. 2022 my grandparents: Grandpa Fryer at top, then Grandma Fryer followed by Grandpa and Grandma Bowen with their family in the bottom...