Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Driving Directions to I 'Heart' Utah Festival this Saturday:


I'm really excited for Saturday; The I "heart" Utah Festival!

It is FREE and has tons of activities for kids, prizes, entertainment, food and shopping.

There will be an opening "ribbon cutting" ceremony at 10:00am with special guests and free pearl necklaces for the first 5,000 through the gate!
Ok, so take I-15 to exit #284 which is the Cabela's store exit, the first exit in Utah County after leaving Salt Lake County OR the last exit as you head north out of Utah County!
Anyway, exit #284 then head west to the first intersection and turn left weaving past the Chevron station and that takes you on the frontage road running between I-15 and Thanksgiving Point. Follow the frontage road going south all the way to the Thanksgiving Point theatres. The very first road past the Thanksgiving Point Theatres you want to turn west (right) and now you are running along side the East parking lot area for the Festival. The large grassy Electric Park area is enclosed by green wrought-iron fencing. There is an east parking lot, south and west parking lot! Inside the Festival area is a covered pavilion where I will be located! The pavilion people will be facing the large stage area where entertainment will be on-going!
Ok, so see you Saturday at Thanksgiving Point and then back to my home-sweet-home, the People's Market on Sunday morning. (1000 South and 900 West in SLC).

Last Sunday's People's Market spilled over into this week. I had the three lovey Sneed ladies (mother and two daughters) come to my home to purchase jewelry. They were able to leisurely look through and try on all the necklaces they wanted to, at my "in-home" jewelry store! Thanks for coming ladies, I really enjoyed having you at my home! Give me a call if you and your friends would prefer this kind of shopping experience also!
I also need to tell Clarilene (who sent me memorabilia from which I shall made a necklace) that I am still working on the necklace and will call her hopefully the first of next week to get pictures sent of the finished product.
And George, your necklace is done - take a look at http://www.bowenwright.com/ to see it!

I also need to thank, at this point, CyberDefender, for fixing my computer! http://www.cyberdefender.com/
Good heavens, they are fast, efficient and darn nice to work with! They took over my computer, cleaned it all up (took them about 3 hours) and I didn't have to drive anywhere, un-plug and un-hook my computer or even lift my fanny off my chair! Plus I can have a live person to talk to anytime I want for a Year! Why didn't I invent this company?
Well now comes your Summer Science Lesson: This week we had a tragic death in our family. My 30+ year old Maple tree in my front yard had to be put down. It was traumatic. It hasn't been doing well the last maybe 10 years. It's leaves are small and turn brown before summer is over, large branches dying. The neighbors had their tree like this just summarily cut down. I wanted more for my tree so I took it on as a project and researched (I love the Internet) and found that Maples are prone to "Strangler Roots". If the tree is not planted properly sometimes a root will grow around the trunk and over time as the root and the tree both get larger, the root strangles the tree. They say you can tell if this is happening to your tree by inspecting the trunk and if it is not perfectly round in shape (like with a flat side), then you have a strangler root and it needs to be cut away to save the tree.
That's the ugly strangler root against the base of the tree!

So my husband and I decided to find the strangler root and cut it away and save our 30+ year old tree! What a hoot that was! Our neighbors watched as we dug away the soil from one side of the tree and after going down less than a foot, we found the problem. It was a HUGE, (as Karmen would say, "Ginormous") root running perpendicular to the tree trunk. It was so obvious that the root could not be cut out and safely leave enough of the tree trunk to make it anything but a falling hazard. So the wonderful arborist dudes with Murray City came and cut it down Wednesday morning. They had the tree down, ground up into mulch and the stump removed quicker than I could believe. So what shall we plant in it's place.... We haven't yet decided... You are just going to have to wait to find out! Something fast growing, that's for sure, I doubt we have another 30 years!
Here's a bit closer look. They say planting young trees to deep can promote strangler roots! Also make sure roots on your new tree are not looped or twisted around the trunk as you put them in the hole! You learn somthing new every day!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

That is so crazy and interesting!

   Feb. 2022 my grandparents: Grandpa Fryer at top, then Grandma Fryer followed by Grandpa and Grandma Bowen with their family in the bottom...