Monday, August 24, 2009

I was on TV AGAIN?


Here are pictures of a single strand "Bible Pages" necklace. The paper comes from and old torn Bible from Desert Industries (a second-hand store). The colored beads are called "Miracle" beads. They seem to glow with a mysterious 3-d glow when in bright lights. These are a special request order and I thought I ought to show them. I can do several strands or even make a gorgeous "wrap" necklace. The wrap necklace is 6 1/2 feet of continuous beads which can be wrapped around your neck 2 or 3 time OR can be twisted and made into a gorgeous 8 strand choker by using an included clasp. (The pink beads are for a breast cancer survivor - a great gift idea, isn't it!)

Today was the first day of school for students. As I walked in, my vice principal asked if he could have my autograph. "Huh... ?" I intelligently answered in my best teacher voice.
"Didn't you see yourself on TV this morning, on channel 2?"
NO.... I missed seeing my self... I missed seeing an old, fat, wrinkled but happy crafter working at the People's Market yesterday!
So was I really on Channel 2? Well some students also said they saw me. More advertisement for the market the better, I say!

Yesterday was a bit quieter, slower day at the market. I believe the weather scared a lot of vendors from coming. It was blustery, then rained gently and then got real blustery (knocked over my earring stand!) and then it became hot as the sun came out near the end of the market - just in time to exert myself and break down camp. For being a slow day, I was exhausted by time I got home. It must have been from thinking about going back to school the next morning! But none-the-less it was beautiful in the park and I mourned the end of summer vacation.

I think I love the smells at the People's Market the best. a beautiful mixture of the grass, flowers and the trees and all the fresh air mingled with bar-b-que and bars of goat's milk soap and soy candles and Dora's kitchen and everything else!

So have you seen the way cool scorpion's lined up on the tables on the south side of the vendor circle? How beautiful are they?
And the knit hats that kids love to wear... The knit hat lady had an off-white one that I think has my name on it. (just thinking about the snow that will be here before too long.) My students wear them even in the middle of summer, however!
I can't remember the name of the vendor who sells dried fruits and nuts. I bought a bag of dried mangoes that were laced with a hint of something like maybe chipotle? - mangoes with a little zing to them - I loved them!

Come down, bring a blanket. Nap a bit, then eat lunch, hang out, shop, visit. Then watch kids roller blade and then nap a bit more and have more to eat and shop more. All that can be done only at the People's Market.

See the cool video from an Aug. 11th newscast about the market on:
SLpeoplesmarket.org

So, I mentioned I am back teaching again. Are 7th graders like the cutest thing ever or what?
I must admit both their excitement and terror are contagious. I'll still do the People's Market through October but now it takes nearly two weeks to get a special order out unless I already have some of the beads made - so go ahead, email with a request! I need the diversion from teaching! AND you need to get started on Holiday shopping!

No comments:

   Feb. 2022 my grandparents: Grandpa Fryer at top, then Grandma Fryer followed by Grandpa and Grandma Bowen with their family in the bottom...