Tuesday, June 9, 2009

il Divo, HFB Air Show and People's Market!


I SAW THEM UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL - YES! Il Divo! Last Friday Night!

My little sister and I bought tickets to see Il Divo, a quartet of massively excellent maleness and 'epic' singing ability, at the Energy Solutions arena. (Doesn't the Energy Solutions Arena need a nickname? like EnSol or something? It's just too much to have to pronounce) Anyway, we bought the very best tickets available - price was no object- and we sat, I am NOT KIDDING! about 8 feet away from their bodies! They had a circular stage and at the peak of the circle as it juts into the audience, there was our seats! I literally saw spit jump from one of their mouths! (No, I did not jump to catch that drop of spittle!)

Ok, let's get serious, yes they are extremely good looking young men. Heavy emphasis on the word YOUNG. But it is their voices that knock me over. How can anyone sing that well? And there are four of them! Carlos is the cocky baritone from Spain. I just like to look at him. Sebastian is the Frenchman and I'd love to hang out and talk to him, he seems very amiable. Urs, the German-Swiss is so cute you just want to cuddle him and his voice IS like an angel BUT I want David Mills, the American, to sing to me. His has the most extraordinary voice. He is from San Diego I believe, and guess what ---? Pay attention to this Lisa! David used to sing for the Logan Opera! 10 years ago he hung out in Logan, Utah and says he really loves Utah! Cool, huh. Well I was honored to be able to hear their talents and I hope they only get more popular (is it really possible to get any more popular?) and hope they come back to Utah!



Saturday Morning, after breakfast and seeing my sister and her husband off to get their tattoos (that's another story), my hubby and I made our eternal pilgrimage to Hill Air Force Base to see the Air Show. We left the house at about noon. Got caught in an extremely bad wreck in North Salt Lake. Finally we were diverted by the cops to go across a dirt road divider to get up onto highway 89 and off the freeway to finally get to HAFB to only be in another huge traffic jam! Finally we got parked and walked like 8 blocks through metal detectors and we were finally at the air show. Terry got to go aboard the airplane his Dad flew on D-Day (probably not the very exact one but same model) but Terry was thrilled! And teary! Then we finally found someone willing to tell us when the Thunderbirds would fly -- 4:30pm! Two whole more hours! I am not what you would call an airplane enthusiast, not even by a long shot and Terry being the gentleman, says, "let's just go, that's too long to wait". "Like HECK it is" I answered, "I came all this way, through all that mess and we are staying!" So we did, we found some lawn there on the base, and listened to Ipods and wasted time! It was wonderful and the weather was wonderful and the Thunderbirds were as exciting as the 2,000 other times I have endured them!



But, hurray, the People's Market begins this next Sunday, the 14th of June. 1000 South and 900 West in Salt Lake City, Utah! It runs from 10:00am to 3:00pm every Sunday morning through October!



It is yard sale day! So besides vendors having their regular stuff to sell, many bring yard sale items so it should be a lot of fun. Maybe a bit rainy but the rain this week doesn't seem to last too long and it sure keeps us cooler! Come and say HI and then take a quiet, beautiful tour through the International Peace Gardens which are right in back of the Market!


I will have new "music notes" necklaces made from an old 1917 music methods book I found discarded! Plus plenty of junk mail bead necklaces also!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Friday was our anniversary and we'd looked a while ago to see if there were any great concerts around then, but didn't find any. So then two days before, I see the Il Divo concert commercial on t.v.! Ugh. I thought of you and hoped you knew about it and were there, so I'm so happy to hear about your awesome seats! I didn't know Donna liked them too? And I totally thought David Mills looked familiar! Oh my gosh, what a small world!
The Thunderbirds were awesome - we watched them from our front lawn. No traffic, no lines... that's the way to do it. You should just move, I guess? ; ) We'd just returned home from a long drive to search for the 'hit & run' culprit's white car who wrecked Jenny's CR-V while parked in front of our house while we were gone on our weekend getaway...
Are you loving summer vacation?

   Feb. 2022 my grandparents: Grandpa Fryer at top, then Grandma Fryer followed by Grandpa and Grandma Bowen with their family in the bottom...