Monday, June 22, 2009

Who Stole Summer?


Ok, so like I was really excited to go to the People's Market this last Sunday "Father's Day", but when I woke up Sunday morning it was raining.
I know it was rain because I have seen A LOT of it the last few weeks. One thing I will not do is try to sell PAPER jewelry in a RAIN STORM! So I think bummer dude, I'll have to stay home this Sunday and spend time with the hubby. But at about 10:30am I wander outside to see an amazingly strange site - Blue Sky! I had to ask my hubby what in the world that blue stuff was! So, I race inside, get ready and head for Jordan Park, in front of the International Peace Gardens for the PEOPLE'S MARKET! I had my canopy up in no time and was meeting and talking and selling before you could say, "Yes my hubby had to help me set up on Father's Day even though he would rather be home reading a good book, but he even bought me breakfast at McDonald's and brought it to me at the park". What a good man he is.
Not too many vendors ventured out, but it was a grand day. I met many members of a family renunion, some came clear from Rigby, Idaho. I said, "you came all the way from Idaho to come to this Market?" "Well, the reunion was #1, but we stayed over another day to come to the market", was the answer. Wow! People's Market was #2! Not too Bad! AND.... Great Uncle (I forgot his name) is going to sell his homemade wooden bread boards and children's wooden blocks next Sunday!
And I hope I convinced the nice young lady I met to sell her "Book Art" at the People's Market. She takes covers from popular books and makes really neat sounding frames out of them for poems and art that remind her of the book. I can't wait to see some!
I told her about the necklace I made for a school teacher. I cut up an old discarded paperback book of "To Kill a Mockingbird" (her favorite book in the whole world), cut and rolled it so all the important names and facts showed up on the rolled paper beads. Then I made a gorgeous 3-strand necklace out of her favorite book beads.
That is why she had to tell me what she makes out of old books. She has got to come sell her stuff!
I love this market; it is slow, casual and unique! And getting larger and better every Sunday!
I hope all the Fathers out there had a wonderful day! This was my first Father's Day without a Father. I sure miss him!

No comments:

   Feb. 2022 my grandparents: Grandpa Fryer at top, then Grandma Fryer followed by Grandpa and Grandma Bowen with their family in the bottom...