Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Now This Is Exciting - I'M IN A BOOK!

I just received an email that said basically, if you got this email then your contribution has been selected by the editor and you will be in our new book!
The book is published by Quarry and is:

1000 Ideas for Creative Reuse by Garth Johnson
I sent the editor over a dozen pictures of my necklaces made of recycled paper and cloth and I guess at least one of them made it into the book, along with my name and website address!
If you want to see the book ahead of time and browse some of the pages, then check out these links:


ISBN: 9781592535408
November 2009

$25.00
$31.99 Canadian
£16.99

Paperback
1000 photos/illustrations
320 Pages
Size (in): 9 x 9
Size (mm): 227 x 227



1000 Ideas for Creative Reuse

Remake, Restyle, Recycle, Renew
Garth Johnson

Artists and crafters have always been recyclers, but for many, it has not only become a thrifty choice, it has become a moral imperative. 1000 Ideas for Creative Reuse contains a cutting edge collection of the most inventive work being made with re-used, upcycled, and already existing materials. The work in this book ranges from clever and humble personal accessories to unique and important large-scale works of art, including paper art, fashion, jewelry, housewares, interiors, and installations.

Garth Johnson is a studio artist, writer and educator who lives in Eureka, California. In addition to maintaining the website "Extreme Craft" (www.extremecraft.com) Garth writes for CRAFT magazine and his writing has been featured in museum catalogs, magazines, and books worldwide, including a contribution to the upcoming book Handmade Nation from Princeton Architectural Press. His first DVD, ReVision: Recycled Crafts for Earth-Friendly Living will be released by Eyekiss Films later this year.

I get to order a book ahead of time from the publisher - I can't wait to see what to see everything in there.

This is such a good idea! I have fallen in love with recycling!

One of my teacher friends (who teaches sewing) and I (who teaches Earth Science) are doing an integrated unit on recycling. The students have to bring cloth or paper and design jewelry or wall decorations from all recycled products and the products they produce must be viable products, ones that people would actually use.
I'll have to blog on how it goes with pictures and all. We're thinking of actually making the products those few days before Christmas when hands-on lessons are a God-send!

My next public venue is the Family Christmas Gift Show

at the South Towne Expo Center on 9500 South State Street in Sandy, Utah

Nov 13, 14 and 15th! See You There!

or - just call or email and I'll get you the item you want!




2 comments:

Lisa said...

WOW!!! That's so exciting!!!!! I'm so proud of you!!! I can't wait to see the book!!! We should do something to celebrate such coolness! (okay, I've used an obnoxious amount of exclamation points - I can't help it - I'm really excited!)

Fame said...

That is so cool! Why didn't you tell us you were so famous?! We eat in the presence of greatness!

   Feb. 2022 my grandparents: Grandpa Fryer at top, then Grandma Fryer followed by Grandpa and Grandma Bowen with their family in the bottom...